Breakfast Bread Liberian Style
On Saturday mornings my mom would wake us up with sounds of the Motown oldies, the blues and loud phone conversations filled with laughter and singing with my aunts. If you grew up like me, Saturdays were not for sleeping in. They were made of loud music, the clanking of pots and pans and weekend chores. Lots of chores and lots of cleaning. But at least we got to dance to oldies while we cleaned the morning away.
On the best weekends, we were woken up with smells of sausage, bacon, and pancakes. On the most special weekends, we would wake to the delicious aroma of nutmeg and cinnamon in shortbread. A buttery breakfast bread topped with nutmeg and sugar.
How to make Shortbread:
– Ingredients –
- 2 and 1/2 cup bisquick
- Half stick of butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Half tsp nutmeg
- Half tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
– Instructions –
- Mix butter and bisquick together, then add sugar
- In a cup beat together milk and eggs, then add a little cinnamon and nutmeg
- Pour milk mixture into the bisquick mix a little at a time- mixture will look similar to pancake mix
- Grease and dust a 9 x 13 baking pan
- Pour batter into pan and sprinkle sugar and nutmeg on the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown on the top
Best when eaten within 3 days. Perfect with eggs and sausage.
Shortbread always makes me think of family and sweet memories of childhood and home. What is your favorite childhood breakfast?