Guest Bedroom Decor Redo
Do you have an extra bedroom that you toss all your extra junk into? Essentially it’s the junk room, a bigger better version of the junk draw (I have too many of those!) My parent’s guest room was overdue for an update. This is the room I stay in when I go back home to visit my folks in Michigan. Whenever I visit, I always think, I’ll get a lamp next time or I’ll hang up the painting and spruce up this room… But I never took the time, had the money to spend, or made the effort to make the changes. This visit, I decided it was time to make a few quick changes to turn this mix-matched room into a cozy guest suite.
A calming space makes room for a calmer mind 🧘🏾Sweet Butter Harmony
Design on a Budget
I’m all about design on a budget. I checked around the house to see if there were any decor items we could repurpose for the room. I found a plant, another painting, pillows, side tables, and a few Nigerian sculptures that would add personality to the room. The best part, they were FREE! 🙂
Then I headed to my favorite shops, Homegoods, TJ Maxx, and Meijer to find a few key pieces. See the details below!
I added floor-length window curtains in a dark color to frame the window. I could not find the dark brown and gold color curtain I was looking for, but I think I will change out the curtains next time.
The bird sculptures from Nigeria and a picture of my niece give this room a personal touch. I brought in a small plant to add life to the room. The new accent chair from TJ Maxx provides a place for guests to sit to read or relax without always having to use the bed.
Guest Room Decor Budget:
- Accent Chair $100 from Homegoods
- Two Matching lamps $40 from TJ Maxx (similar at Wayfair)
- Duvet $40 from Homegoods
- Curtains $24 Homegoods
- Bedskirt $20 from Meijer
- Gold Picture Frames (set of 3) $30 from Homegoods
- Square gold frame $6 – Homegoods
- Planter $5 from Meijer
Total Budget: $265
- 2 Round wooden side tables
- Wall art
- Bird sculptures
- Board games
Future Decor Updates –
There are still a few things I’d love to update on the next trip to make the space even more cohesive. Check out the sketch and frames purchased below.
- Update the TV stand – We will paint the TV stand a creamy white and add dark bronze or black round handles. (I’ll share the updated pictures afterward!)
- Hang 3 gold frames – Above the TV stand and accent chair, we will hand 3 gold 8×10 frames centered on the wall. This will allow us to add beautiful family photos to the room.
- Paint the walls – The currently has flat paint, which has lead to many stains and scratches on the walls. We will repaint this room in a similar color in a satin or semi-gloss paint, so we don’t have to worry about stains or scratches in the future.
- Two new nightstands – We are planning to buy two IKEA nightstands to add storage to the room, but I actually like the mid-century modern look of the round table and the 3 legs. Potential nights stands – Hemnes nightstand
Take a look at the quick changes we made. With a few updates, this guest room feels more cohesive, cozy, and inviting. What do you think? Would you come stay a night? 🙂