Welcome to Sweet Butter Sundays
A Time for Self-Care
I’ve been feeling weighed down by all the tensions in the world. Full body exhaustion from everything associated with the corona epidemic. Pile this on top of working a regular schedule at work and my job was already stressful. Depleted because all I can see are the things that have been taken away. The plans that have been canceled. The people I’m not able to spend time with. Mourning the people who have lost their lives to COVID-19 and people who have lost their lives to the movement for black equality. I’ve been so blinded by the negative that I could hardly see and enjoy the joys and light spots in our life. I decided to take a few days off of work to regroup and remind myself of the simple joys. It was time to focus on gratitude instead of my annoyances and pains. I pulled out a journal and wrote down a list of 10 things that I am grateful for. We’ve all heard it before practice gratitude la la la.. There is truth to what you focus on thrives. Right now, more than ever I need to focus on the good, the blessings, and the joys in my life.
A friend recommended I participate in the Desperate for Jesus conference this weekend and I’m so happy she did. They had amazing speakers throughout the conference and one speaker especially touched my heart. Katherine Wolf shared her story of having a stroke after giving birth to her first child. What ensued is her lifelong struggle with major physical disabilities; she lost the ability to walk, her face is partially paralyzed, she is blind in one eye and partially deaf. She describes dealing with 5 years of sadness, suffering, and feeling like God made a mistake. Then she decided to cultivate joy and find the happiness and power in her story and her life.
Below is my list of Gratitude. Some things are serious and some things are silly. I plan to add to my list over time and watch it grow. If you haven’t already, I hope this encourages you to take a moment and write your list of gratitude. Share it with your family and remind them about the healing power of gratitude. Check out the sweet butter treats below and treat yo’self this Sunday.
This Week’s Treats ~ A journal with a growing list of what I’m grateful for, ginger mint chai tea, and Nikki Giovanni’s book of poems, Quilting the Black Eye Pea.
My List of Gratitude
- My family and friends are healthy and safe – I know people who lost their lives to COVID-19 and families rocked by tragedy during this time. I’m just grateful for our health right now.
- My husband and having more time to spend with him
- No reason to shave for the last few months – Don’t worry, I finally did LOL
- Exploring Georgia outdoors
- Long talks and laughs with my sister
- Ice cream, cookies, and cake – in moderation of course
- Book club – started because of quarantine, continued because we love connecting each week
- Rekindled friendships during the quarantine
- My job, a steady paycheck, and no worries of paying my bills
- Netflix and the never-ending list of movies and shows to watch